menu icon mobile devices search icon mobile devicesSearch the site

Bannatyne Club and Maitland Club Collections

250 items (dispersed).

The Bannatyne Club, the exclusive Edinburgh bibliographical society, was established by Sir Walter Scott in 1823 on the model of the Roxburghe Club, for the purpose of printing unpublished or long out-of-print material relative to the history and literature of Scotland.

Its name derived from George Bannatyne (1545–1607/8), compiler of the celebrated Bannatyne manuscript.1

The Library holds a complete set of the 176 volumes published by the Club up to 1867.

These are a major source for Scottish literature and history, as are the publications of the Glaswegian Maitland Club, founded in March 1828 to ‘print works illustrative of the antiquities, history and literature of Scotland’, and named after the Scottish poet and lawyer, Sir Richard Maitland of Lethington (1496–1586). Again, a complete set of the publications of this society up to 1859 is available.

1James Maidment, Notices Relative to the Bannatyne Club (Edinburgh, 1836).

Finding aids

Recorded in .

Location

The John Rylands Library

Using the reading rooms in the John Rylands Library

Can we help?