Getting the most out of your Library
Welcome to the University of Manchester Library. This information is intended to help you get started with using the Library.
Your University ID card
Your University ID card is your Library Card.
You need it to:
- get into libraries
- borrow, reserve or renew books
- use photocopying and self-issue machines
- make Inter-library Loan requests
- carry out many other Library transactions.
If you lose your card, let us know, then go to the Student Services Centre to get a replacement.
How to find what you want
- Use the Catalogue (on the internet or in the Library)
- Note the library site, location and shelf mark, then go to the shelves
- If you can't find what you are looking for, ask for help
- If it's out on loan place a reservation via the Request button on the Catalogue
- Place reservations in plenty of time - there can sometimes be a waiting list.
Many course module reading lists are available via the Library's resource list system, Link2Lists.
Borrowing and returning
- Undergraduate Students can borrow 20 books.
- Taught Graduate Students can borrow 25 books.
- Loan periods vary depending on the demand for the book; normal loans are 4 weeks. Shorter loan periods include 7 days, 1 or 2 nights and even just 3 hours for books in very high demand.
- The Library can recall the books you borrow early if they are reserved by someone else. We will tell you about any changes like this by e-mail.
- Fines are charged on all books which are returned late, including those which have been recalled early.
- The shorter the loan period the higher the fine, so be careful!
- You can avoid fines by returning or renewing books in good time.
- Return books to the library site you borrowed them from to help us to get them back into circulation quickly.
See the section on Borrowing for more information.
Your Library PIN
Your PIN will be sent to you by e-mail and is an extra security device to protect your Library transactions. It is needed to:
- use the automated telephone renewal service
- check and manage your Library Account via the catalogue
- make reservations etc via the catalogue
- use the self-issue machines.
If you forget your PIN ask a member of staff.
Your Library Account
You will need your Library Card number and your PIN. Use it to:
- change your PIN
- add an alternative e-mail address
- check what you have on loan and the return date
- renew your loans
Renewing your loans
You can renew your loans at any time up to and including the day they are due back by:
- using our 24-hour automated telephone renewal service on 0161 275 3718
- using your Library Account through My Manchester
- by bringing your books into The Library
- showing your Library Card at the issue counter
- phoning the library you borrowed your loans from.
Books which have been reserved by someone else cannot be renewed. Renewal may also be refused if your books are overdue or if you have a block on your record. Try to remember to renew as early as possible to avoid problems.
Fines will be charged if books are late back: the shorter the loan period the higher the fine!
- Your Library Card is your photocopying card
- Before using it for the first time you will need to get it encoded at the Service Point
- You can then put credit on your card at valuator machines near photocopiers
- Don't put too much value on it at once in case you lose it!
- Credit will automatically be deducted as you copy.
- Different rates apply for A3, double sided, colour, enlargements and reductions.
See copying services for further details or ask a member of Customer Services staff.
Keeping the Library a pleasant place to study
Help us to keep the Library a pleasant place to study -
- Respect the needs of fellow students
- Respect silent study areas and use only designated areas for group discussion
- Take social activity outside the Library building or gointo the Library Lounge (Main Library) or Relaxation areas (Precinct and Joule)
- Keep phones on silent (or switch them off!) and use them only in designated Phone Zones
- Keep MP3 and other personal stereos on low volume
- Keep your belongings with you for security
- Avoid creating hazards with trailing wires and bags
- Dispose of rubbish responsibly and help to keep the Library clean and tidy
- Food and drink are available in the Library Lounge (Main Library) or Relaxation areas (Precinct and Joule
- Treat staff with the same respect and courtesy that they show you.
Communicating with us
- All standard Library communications will be sent to your University e-mail account plus any alternative e-mail addresses you have registered with us
- Check your e-mail regularly for recalls, overdue notifications, reminders and other messages from us.
- Keep your personal details up to date on your Library Account (add additional e-mail addresses to your account if that helps).
- Contact us if you need help to use The Library (see our website for individual contact details).
- Let us know if you have problems with your Library Account so that we can help you resolve them as early as possible.
Telephone Renewals Line: 0161 275 3718
The Main Library
- Circulation Desk 0161 275 3717
- Information Desk 0161 275 3751
- IT Service Desk 0161 306 5544
- Joule 0161 306 4923
- Precinct 0161 306 3201
- Braddick 0161 275 4078
- Kantorowich 0161 275 6858
- Lenagan 0161 275 4985
- Stopford 0161 275 5539
- Art and Archaeology 0161 275 3657
The Contact us section of the website has details on emailing the Library and on contacting individual members of Library staff.