The Joule Library holds major collections in science, engineering and technology. Management material is mainly held at the Precinct Library, part of Manchester Business School.
The entrance to Joule Library can be found on E floor of the Sackville Street Building (formerly the Main Building at UMIST).
Enter the building from Granby Row where you can take the lift or stairs to the library.
The University of Manchester Library
Sackville Street Building
The University of Manchester
General enquiries and Issue Desk: +44 (0)161 306 4923 (internal ext: 64923)
Fax: +44 (0)161 306 4941
The last entry to the library will be 15 minutes before the officially advertised closure time. This is to ensure that all customers can vacate the building safely and securely.
Access to the library is by valid University of Manchester ID card.
- *Monday to Friday: 9am to midnight
- Saturday: 9am to midnight
- Sunday: 1pm to midnight
- On Monday 29 May the Library will be staffed as normal from 9am - 5pm and by security only from 5pm to midnight.
Monday, 24 April to Wednesday, 7 June 2017
- Thursday: 9am to 8pm
- Friday: 9am to 5pm
Wednesday, 7 to Friday, 9 June 2017
- Monday to Friday*: 9am to 5pm
- Saturday and Sunday:
- Closed on Monday, 28 August (public holiday)
Saturday, 10 June to Friday, 15 September 2017
Flexible study space
The Joule Library has 248 individual study space, many having charging sockets, and another 45 spaces in fantastic retro 'soft seating areas'. There is also a state-of-the-art group study room.
- E Floor: 162 total
- F Floor: 86 total
Food and drink guidelines
- You may drink from containers with lids.
- You may not eat food in the Library Study Areas.
- You may eat food in the Relaxation Area.
- In consideration of your fellow customers, please do not bring hot food into the library.
There are three self-service photocopiers, two black and white copiers and one colour copier. There is also a microfiche/microfilm reader/printer. These machines are all located on the Main Level (E Floor).
Joule Library provides access to 55 networked PCs with CD rewriters and networked printing facilities.