The John Rylands University Library
University home
[English Manuscript 109 - Sermons in English, Sermon relating to the second Sunday in Lent (55r)]

English MS 109

Fifteenth-Century Sermons Collection, first half of 15th century

Size: 283 x 205 mm. vi + 123 + ii folios.

A composite manuscript containing a collection of sermons in English called the Mirror, and two other collections of sermons, one in English, the other Latin, together with a table of contents for the entire volume, added in the early 16th century.

Eight leaves have been separated from this manuscript and now form Norwich Cathedral MS 5, deposited in the Norfolk Record Office. These leaves follow ff. 51, 74 and 122 in the Rylands manuscript.

There are numerous crudely drawn 2-line initials in red ink, and several manicules.

The manuscript was almost certainly at the Premonstratensian abbey at Welbeck, north Nottinghamshire, in the 15th century. Later owners include a Robert Prestwold, 16th century; Thomas Gibbon, 17th century; John Henley (1692-1756), dissenting minister and eccentric; Thomas Thorpe (1791-1851), bookseller; and Charles Clark (1806-1880) of Totham Hall, Essex, farmer and private printer.

Related links

Manuscript Index