The Centre of Digital Excellence was a John Rylands University Library pilot project to examine the demand for a regional Centre of Excellence for Heritage Digitisation, embedded within the University of Manchester. We established partnerships with museums, libraries and archive repositories throughout the region, and beyond, to develop and test collaborative models for digitisation.
Our objectives were to:
- Pilot and test various business models and practices with external partnerships
- Achieve economies of scale by competitively marketing our services and expertise;
- Develop a strategy for continuation and long-term sustainability of digitisation
- Embed digitisation into our institutional strategies and practices;
- Define best-practice for object-centred digitisation;
- Expand our existing on-line content by hosting related materials held by
- Fulfil JISC, Library and University strategic goals.
This project was been funded by JISC (Joint Information Systems Committee) under the JISC Capital Content Initiative.