Find a book
The easiest way to find a book is to use Library Search which has records for all the books (printed and electronic) available from the library.
You can access the Library Search online from our website, or from dedicated computer terminals (which are available to use in all of the libraries of The University of Manchester Library).
Use Library Search to:
- Identify a book by title and/or author.
- Browse for books by author(s), or by keyword.
- Find out which books are available (and which are out on loan).
- Place a reservation for a book which is out on loan.
- Access your individual library account details (check which books you currently have on loan and make online renewals).
Videos with tips on how to search are available on the Library Search page.
Increasingly books are being published in electronic format. The library currently has access to around 500,000 of these titles. You can use the Library catalogue to identify electronic books, and then link straight through to the text. The search will need to be set up slightly differently from a standard search however:
- From the library catalogue home page click on the link marked More Search Options.
- Enter keyword combinations, or title and/or author details into the fields required.
- To search for only electronic books you need to select Electronic Resources from the Collections drop down menu.
- After clicking on Search button a list of titles which match your search criteria (and which are available in electronic format) will be displayed.
- Click on the book title to view further information - The link to the electronic version will be provided underneath the Web-link heading.
- You will need to enter your central username and password to access the electronic version off-campus.