Alan Gilbert Learning Commons
The Alan Gilbert Learning Commons is a state of the art study and learning centre in the heart of the Oxford Road campus boasting an onsite café, an impressive atrium providing a social meeting space with wifi access and flexible study spaces and environments throughout the building.
Location and contacting us
Alan Gilbert Learning Commons
The University of Manchester
Tel: 0161 306 4306
The Learning Commons is open to students and staff of the University within our usual opening hours:
- Term time: open 24/7
- Out of term:
- Monday to Friday: 9am - 9pm
- Weekends: 9am - 5pm
Other visitors are welcome to enjoy our café facilities which are easily accessible to all visitors between 9am - 8.30pm Monday to Friday, and 9am - 4.30pm at weekends.
Summer opening hours
|Monday to Friday||9am||midnight||*|
*The Learning Commons will be staffed until 9pm Monday to Friday and until 5pm Saturday and Sunday. After this time it will be staffed by security. Access will be with a valid University of Manchester Library ID card only.
NB: The Learning Commons will be open as normal during the August 25 public holiday.
|Monday to Friday||9am||9pm||*|
*The Learning Commons will be staffed until 5pm. After this time it will be staffed by security. Access will be with a valid University of Manchester Library ID card only.
|Saturday, 13 September||9am||-||24/7 opening begins|
|Monday, 15 December||-||9pm||24/7 opening ends|
Christmas Opening Hours
|Monday - Friday||9am||9pm|
- Closed - Thursday 25 December and Friday 26 December
- The Learning Commons will be unstaffed between 27 December 2014 and 1 January 2015, but will be manned by security. Access will be with a vaild University of Manchester ID card only
The Alan Gilbert Learning Commons offers tours of this spectacular building to University of Manchester staff and visitors to the University.
The tours are a great way to explore and enjoy the building and see the facilities that are on offer.
To arrange a tour please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Learning Commons hosts a series of training sessions and workshops in a great learning environment.
My Learning Essentials offers a suite of online sessions and group workshops on library and information literacy; academic and study skills workshops; career and employability skills and skills clinics.
Find out more about the range of modules, workshop schedules and booking information through My Learning Essentials.
The learning commons offers great facilities for students, including:
- Exclusive group learning rooms
- Flexible break out and work spaces with multimedia facilities
- 400 fixed workstations with live update availability information so you don’t have to wait
- MFD’s for print, scan and photocopying
- Wifi access throughout the building including outdoor café areas
- Charging stations to charge laptops, tablets and smart phones (remember your cable!)
- Café and vending machine facilities